You are here

Joan and Nigel Bull - Britain

The population of our parish is 75 per cent Muslim. The remaining 25 per cent comprises different nationalities – including many people from Eastern Europe. Bradford has been recognised as a City of Sanctuary, and was welcoming Syrians long before they became a news item. Education levels are low, and Bradford is high on any scale of deprivation. But God's heart is for this city and many wonderful people are working to share his love here.

Starting from the English classes, the school and the doctor's surgery, we are gradually building up relationships with individuals and voluntary groups in the area. We are constantly brought face-to-face with the heart-rending suffering, the courage and kindness of people around us. We are also never far from darkness, oppression and crime.

Call 

To share the love of Jesus with anybody and everybody, but with special attention to Muslim people

Role 

Joan is teaching English, helping in a school and a Sunday school for Romany children. Nigel’s works in community engagement for a GP surgery. We support the work of the local church and the Mahabba group, which mobilises and motivates Christians to love their Muslim neighbours.

Read more about Joan and Nigel Bull

Joan is Bradford-born and bred and became a Christian at St Clement’s church. She went to Pakistan in 1970 with Voluntary Service Overseas. Nigel is from Coventry, where he worshipped at Queen’s Road Baptist Church. He first went to Pakistan in 1974 with the Bible and Medical Missionary Fellowship. We met on a summer campaign with Operation Mobilisation in Austria and were married at St Luke’s in Bradford. We settled in the nearby market town of Todmorden, where Joan worked as a teacher and Nigel worked for the Ambulance Service. From 2003 we spent 10 years in Pakistan, mostly in Quetta in Balochistan, where Joan trained teachers in a Christian school and Nigel was administrator of a Christian hospital. Returning to the UK in 2013, we left Todmorden to follow our new calling to Bradford.

Church Mission Society is a great team, of which we feel privileged to be part. It is supportive, visionary and faithful - looking to God and trusting in his power and grace.

Support Joan and Nigel Bull
Give now